Saturday, January 7, 2012

One man's trash.....

    I have a confession. I have a secret passion that involves greed, scheming, metal bins and waste. It's called dumpster diving. Generally, I personally try to avoid the "diving" part, that's what my husband is for:) Anyway, my love of dumpster diving began innocently enough. When we lived in Des Moines, I noticed that whenever I saw a moving truck in the parking lot, the apartment dumpster would usually be overflowing with goods. I noticed a broom handle sticking out here, a picture frame peeking through there, but it took me a while to muster up the guts to take action. Well, on one said 'moving day' I noticed a perfectly good book shelf sitting next to the dumpster. Immediately, I began scheming (because heaven forbid anyone should see me taking the trash in instead of out). Finally, when it got dark outside, I grabbed my accomplice (Jamie) and pretended to take out the trash. After a few nervous glances to make sure no one was around, we grabbed that puppy and scurried inside as quickly as two people awkwardly carrying a book shelf while trying to appear nonchalant could.
    The bookshelf was just the beginning. Since that day (well over 2 years ago), I have rescued a swiffer sweeper, a vacuum, a ficus tree, an office chair, a body-length mirror, and an exersaucer from the trash (just to name a few). Now, every time I drive past the dumpsters at our complex, like magnets, my eyes are drawn to the metal treasure chests on wheels and I perform a quick scan to see if there are any precious gems beckoning me. My confidence has increased as well. I used to only go out at night and take Jamie with me, but slowly I began solo daytime diving. I guess you could say I've become a regular ol' dumper:)

*Although, I feel I should clarify that I've never actually crawled into a dumpster, I just grab the stuff placed outside it or within an arms reach (I don't care to catch a disease)*

    Anyway, I just want to bear testimony that one man's trash will probably end up becoming my treasure. Oh and here's a picture of something I didn't find in the trash....love that girl!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! I have to confess, that when we were living in apartments as students we did the same thing. I don't think we found quite as many treasures, but we rescued a bunch of cool things that we still use to this day. (a big cooler is coming to mind right now) And recently we got found an office chair too that I'm sitting on right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! Seriously though I could get into this. :) Maybe then we could actually have some furniture in the house we bought. Marlee is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel no shame Amber (actually your blog points to the fact that you no longer feel shame in dumpster diving). I pulled a nice computer chair out of the dumpster while my attending doctor was watching me. He actually ended up giving me higher evaluation scores than he normally gives, hehe. And what a cute little girl, btw.

    ReplyDelete