Monday, October 18, 2010

Name that Lump

Oh the adventures of cooking. Here's a preview of tonight's meal. Can you tell what it is?
Exhibit A)


Yep, these are meatballs. Look at the lovely shape and form they have! I forgot to add the egg to the recipe, so as I was fryin' up these badboys they began to fall apart into a large heap that ended up looking like dog food. The sad thing is, I DESPISE touching raw hamburger; however, I wanted to cook my sweetums a decent meal, so to think that I actually touched raw cow to form those little balls of love just to watch them fall apart in front of my eyes was too much. If I weren't an emotional stonewall, I could have possibly shed a tear. It seems like this scene is all too familiar in my kitchen. Want proof?
Take a guess at what this little number is supposed to be..............
Exhibit B)


If you guessed a piece of cheese that had been sitting in the fridge growing mold for two months you'd be close. But actually, this is a piece of cake I baked for Jamie when we were newlyweds. It fell apart the moment I placed it on his plate. It was like watching ice cream hit a hot pan, it just kinda "melted". I think this early glimpse of my cooking scared my dear husband a little bit, but he stuck with me:) He still talks of this as being one of his most memorable birthday cakes. I really don't know what goes wrong with my cooking. I try to follow recipes exactly as they're written and I tend to shy away from recipes that are too complex. However, I always seem to somehow put my own "special touch" on my kitchen creations.
Finally, we have exhibit C)


This is my attempt at homemade bread. I even cheated and used my bread machine to make this. However, it still came out looking lumpy, bumpy, and just plain wrong. Oh dear. I'm just glad I have a patient husband who eats my food no matter what it looks (or tastes) like. Oh well, I still have many years of cooking ahead of me, and many more recipes to destroy! Maybe one day I'll figure things out.....

3 comments:

  1. When I was pregnant with Logan and Taylor, I burned every single meal I made. Needless to say, we ate out quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An emotional stonewall-that's funny! That's what I WISH I were- see, I would be crying (not at your food, but when I burn food...)Anyway, keep at it, you've made lots of great stuff. Your fried potatoes are a favorite at my house now. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete